I followed the tutorial here, and it was actually fairly easy. To my surprise, it didn't take much time at all and the end product turned out pretty cute!
Here it is on. She's got it on crooked...the side seam is in the front, but you get the idea! It looks a bit funny without a top, because so much of the polka-dot shows. I did it that way purposely because I didn't want to cover up ALL that pattern with her shirt or sweater. She's got a cream colored sweater with yellow and brown buttons that I think will go perfectly with the skirt.
I also forgot to allow for the hem on the bottom tier, so it ended up more narrow than the other 2, I think it looks OK. Next time if I want a skirt to be this long on her, I'll put in more tiers. Three just doesn't make it "twirly" enough. I'm thinking 5 would be about right. Or, if I only use 3, make the skirt shorter, more knee length.
So, while it's definitely not perfect, it's not bad for my first real project in over 15 years! Maybe the sewing machine and I can be friends after all.